Visit Garryowen!

Thursday, June 4, 2009

First Entry

LAUREN: This is just an introductory post to introduce everyone to the intern blog. I've been here for just over two weeks now and Justin got here on the 28th. We've been in the midst of a transitional period, rearranging the displays, updating the labels for artifacts and generally prepping the museum for the height of the season, particularly the reenactment week through 4th of July weekend.
The museum has a unique collection of artifacts and while I'll let Justin tell you what his favorite is out of the lot, my personal favorites are the Ghost Dance Shirt and the Death Mask of Sitting Bull. We also have a lock of Custer's hair, Sitting Bull's signed contract with Wild Bill Cody, first editions of the Lewis and Clark journals, a first edition of Libbie Custer's "Boots and Saddles" and many other fascinating finds. Displayed on the perimeter and accordion display boards of the museum is the largest collection of David Frances Berry frontier photography in existence. I personally believe that the museum has a rustic, intimate charm that requires at least an hour to appreciate, not including the 45 minutes it takes to watch the informational (and nationally acclaimed) video we show here.
Justin and I are trying to give the museum an extra dimension by giving an insider's perspective of the museum experience. I'm also hoping to set up a podcast or at least an audio recording from the battlefield reenactment at the end of June, so keep a lookout for that!
I'm loving the surrounding area of Montana; the hills and ridges are in full verdant splendor, and the expansive nature of the open horizon is both freeing and comforting. Coming from the Cape, I do miss the ocean and sand in general (though I never thought I'd miss always finding sand in my shoes), but this is such a pleasing surrogate environment that I barely ever feel something's lacking. Overall, I'm having a great time and I'm so glad I decided to embark on this adventure. Keep checking in for more posts and news! -L

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren! I am Justin's mom and I am so glad you guys are having a good time. The blog looks great! I will continue to follow you two on you Summer 2009 adventure. Please put some more pictures up - we would love to see!

    Justin! It is good to see your face in the picture! I miss you so much especially today! My wine at night is not the same without catching up on the day with you. That being said...I am so glad you are having fun. It is a wonderful time in your life to explore all the world has to offer you. Take care of yourself and send more pictures!! Love, Allyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren and Justin! So good to see what you are doing... Please add more pictures and keep the updates coming. Justin, I miss you so much- esp. today...my poor Sienna! I am so glad that you two are enjoying your summer - what a great time in your life to have an adventure. Take care and I will check often Allyson

    ReplyDelete

Follow the road to glory....

Follow the road to glory....

The View From the Outside Looking In

The View From the Outside Looking In

All the Pretty Horses

All the Pretty Horses

The First Visit to LBH NM

The First Visit to  LBH NM

Battle Recreation Table

Battle Recreation Table

Ghost Dance Shirt

Ghost Dance Shirt

LBH Miniatures

LBH Miniatures
a close-up of the battle recreation

Custer's Cravat

Custer's Cravat
Somebody loves the cravat

Lewis and Clark

Lewis and Clark
A bear, a 400-year-old canoe and a ram head, with one thing in common

Justin and his gun

Justin and his gun
he is waaaay too excited about holding this gun

Search This Blog