Visit Garryowen!

Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Calm Before the Storm

LAUREN: So.... we've finished the case. Chris (the director) is busy securing a new acquision for the museum, and at the moment things are slow, but it's definitely a comfortable pace. I like it when it's slow here because you get to speak to people more and you don't feel harried. Granted, because we're attached to a convenience store/sandwich shop, we do get quite a range of people coming in, but most of the time that's what makes working the desk so fun. All sorts of people end up walking through that door. I know (or at least I've been informed repeatedly) that from June 24th through the 4th of July, it's going to be crazy. Experts apparently flock here for the reenactment, and I know that while it's going to be an engaging challenge to hold my own amongst Custer experts, there's something about seeing the excitement of new knowledge in someone's face, and that usually only happens with people who stumble across the site, rather than make a B-Line for it. As Justin and I have discussed, we both really hope we can go to the reenactments in Hardin and on the reservation, preferably together. The Crow Native Days sounds amazing, too, with Indian food and dancing, crafts and parades and fireworks. I may even go to my first rodeo. Even more shocking, I may even try to ride a horse. At some point. Hopefully not too soon, though, because I'm still in the process of warming up to the idea.
In any case, we still have a LOT to do here at the museum before the reenactment week, and while I'm optimistic and semi-organized with my semi-anal "To-Do" lists, I know it all won't get done. I would at least like the museum to be organized, well-labeled and clean. For now, I'm going to enjoy leisurely inventory-ing the post cards, taking my time to clean the cases. -L

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren, my name is Sean Ireland and I interned at Garryowen in the summer of 06. There will be a definite rush coming up, followed by a welcomed lull as fall starts to approach. Don't know what your into, but a few suggestions for free time from someone who spent 5 months in Garryowen-The Four Aces in Harden gets the job done for quick food and drinks,when you don't feel like diving to Billings. Burges Junction in Wyoming has great camping, located on the edge of Rocky Mountains and one of the highest populations of Elk and Moose in the States. Elmo State Park in Billings has a "beach" in Montana terms. Sheridan days are fun and rowdy. Also Billings and Sheridan both have excellent Mexican eats at good prices. Say hi to Fred if he still works next door. Just a warning I ended up engaged to my fellow intern and were tying the not in October. If you have any questions my email is irelrichard@gmail.com have fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more quick suggestion the Lewis and Clark interactive exhibit is a must, positioned along the Yellowstone river, it's a great day trip. Sorry for the spelling I was typing in the dark one handed while holding my baby.

    ReplyDelete

Follow the road to glory....

Follow the road to glory....

The View From the Outside Looking In

The View From the Outside Looking In

All the Pretty Horses

All the Pretty Horses

The First Visit to LBH NM

The First Visit to  LBH NM

Battle Recreation Table

Battle Recreation Table

Ghost Dance Shirt

Ghost Dance Shirt

LBH Miniatures

LBH Miniatures
a close-up of the battle recreation

Custer's Cravat

Custer's Cravat
Somebody loves the cravat

Lewis and Clark

Lewis and Clark
A bear, a 400-year-old canoe and a ram head, with one thing in common

Justin and his gun

Justin and his gun
he is waaaay too excited about holding this gun

Search This Blog